MISS CZECH-SLOVAK WISCONSIN STATE QUEEN PAGEANT PHILLIPS, WISCONSIN
RULES AND PROCEDURES
Forward: Our rules have been established to allow as many young ladies to compete for the State Title while trying to prepare them for the national competition.
1. Contestant must be of partial Czech, Slovak, Silesian or Moravian descent, to include adoption.
2. Contestant must never have been married and cannot be an unmarried mother. If the applicant wins the title, she must remain unmarried until the reign is complete.
3. Contestant must be between 17 and 25 years of age prior to September 1st of the current year. She must be attending high school or be a high school graduate. (16 year olds may compete at the discretion of the Pageant committee.)
4. Contestant must appear in a Czech-Slovakian folk dress (kroj) for the Kroj Competition. Imported Czech/Slovak or Moravian folk dress is acceptable but must be declared as such and entered in Nationality Division. Folk dresses created by the candidate may be a replica of an authentic kroj in Nationality Division, or an Americanized costume entered in the American Division.
5. Each contestant must present a talent presentation limited to 4 minutes. The talent may be singing, dancing, playing a musical instrument, dramatic reading, poetry, writing, and/or a 4 minute presentation related to an ethnic subject. The talent list is limitless. Power point presentations are allowable at state level but discouraged at nation level due to physical limitations. If tape is used for musical accompaniment, it must be strictly instrumental, not vocal. An accompanist is allowed to perform on stage with the candidate. If Czech or Slovak language is used it should be entered in Nationality Division, others should be entered in American Division.
6. A description of the Czech or Slovakian folk dress must be sent in with entry form. This will be read aloud as the folk dress is modeled on stage during the Kroj Competition. Describe in detail as if the person could not see the dress. Mention if it is handmade, if candidate made it, and if any part of the trim or cloth or costume is from an ancestor’s dress. Limit description to no more than 250 words.
7. Candidate will choose an appropriate title i.e. Miss Prague, Miss Bohemia, Czech Belle, Miss Slovakia, etc. A sash should be worn with the candidate’s title shown on it.
8. A HEAD AND SHOULDERS photo must accompany the entry form for the judges and publication. It must be clear so it will reproduce well for the newspaper. (Graduation photos are fine.) Email transmission of the photo is desired. Picture should not show crown or sash.
9. Entries must be received no later than May 31. Send completed entry form, copy of family tree, (may be brief description to substantiate heritage,) above described photograph, Czech or Slovakian kroj description with declared division, (Nationality Division or American Division) TITLE of talent presentation and declared division (Nationality or American) and $50 entry fee* (paid by sponsor) to: Phillips Czechoslovakian Festival c/o Vernette Moravek, N8691 Storms Rd, Phillips, WI 54555. All paper forms should be emailed as an attachment to Vernette Moravek (VJAM47@aol.com). Sponsor check should be sent by USPO. Please send text (715-820-0368) when sponsor check has been mailed.
10. Contestants must be present at all judged events and at the crowning to be eligible to receive the Miss Czech-Slovak Wisconsin or 1st Runner-Up title, talent award, or costume (kroj) award. Three qualified judges will choose the winner by means of a point system (explained in the Judge’s information.)
11. The winner will be crowned Miss Czech-Slovak Wisconsin: 2019- 2020 and will receive a crown, flowers, sash, crystal gift, $600 cash, plus an all-expenses paid trip to national competition in Wilber, Nebraska. The Princess Award will receive a crown, flowers, sash, crystal gift, and $400 cash. (These cash prizes are awarded at the end of the reign at the following state pageant.) If the queen cannot attend the National Pageant, the Princess will receive the all-expenses paid trip. Cash awards are given to the winners of the talent and kroj (folk dress) segments of the pageant.
12. Several appearances at community functions around the state are expected in the year 2019 until the end of the Queen’s reign the 3rd full weekend in June, 2020. (Appearances will be arranged to fit Queen’s schedule and will be tailored based on her location.) The following functions are considered to be firm commitments: Appreciation Dinner (Sept 28, 2019); Wisconsin Pageant Activities (3rd weekend in June 2020); National Pageant (1st weekend in Aug 2020) Stevens Point Culture Fair (early May 2020); or the MN State Queen Pageant (2nd Saturday in April 2020). The purpose of her participation in these events is to help promote the Phillips Festival, the Queen Pageant, and the Czech-Slovak cultures.
NOTE: It is important to get required information to pageant director by the due date as it is needed for printed program. Lodging is provided for contestants. 10:00 p.m. curfew is imposed on Friday night.
Questions may be directed to Vernette Moravek, home: (715) 339-2623, cell: (715) 820-0368 Phillips.